Title: HIV Testing Services: Analysis of guidelines and perceptions of practice across the WHO European Region
The overall objective of this study was to support the development and implementation of best practice service models that contribute to increasing the uptake and frequency of HIV testing as well as make optimal use of opportunities to promote reductions in the risk of HIV infections.
The specific aims of the project were to:
- Compare and integrate existing guidelines to promote HIV testing, focusing on recommendations regarding pre-test-counseling and obtaining consent, delivering results and post-test counseling;
- Review and synthesize the evidence regarding HIV testing service models, in particular approaches regarding pre-test-counseling and obtaining consent, delivering results and post-test counseling;
- Conduct a survey of current HIV testing models used in different service settings across European countries, including evidence informing the service model and quality assurance approaches;
- Develop and consult on protocols of best practice HIV testing service models that can appropriately address the needs of different individuals and communities in diverse service settings;
- Conduct a demonstration project to gather evidence regarding the appropriateness, feasibility, efficacy and resource requirements of best practice HIV testing service protocols.
Synergies were identified and established with the EU Project COBATEST to avoid duplication and take advantages of information systems already in place.
Access more information and publications here.
Presentations and Publications
HIV pre-test information, discussion or counselling? A review of guidance relevant to the WHO European Region.
Bell SA, Delpech V, Raben D, Casabona J, Tsereteli N, de Wit J.
Int J STD AIDS. 2016;27(2):97–104.
HIV pre-test practices: an online survey examining perceptions of informed consent and pre-test information delivery in health care settings across the WHO European Region.
Bell SA, Casabona J, Tsereteli N, Raben D, de Wit J.
Int J STD AIDS. 2016:28(0): 558-563.
HIV post-test practices: an online survey examining perceived delivery of HIV test results, post-test discussion and referral in healthcare settings across the WHO European region.
Bell SA, Casabona J, Tsereteli N, Raben D, de Wit J
Sexual Health. 2016: 13(3): 205-212.
Delivery of HIV test results, post-test discussion and referral in health care settings: a review of guidance for European countries.
Bell SA, Delpech V, Casabona J, Tsereteli N, de Wit J
HIV Medicine. 2015: 16(10): 620-627.
HIV testing services summary report (PDF
HIV pre-test practices (PDF
HIV post-test practices (PDF
Delivery of HIV test results, post-test discussion and referral in health care settings (PDF
Delivery HIV pre-test information (PDF
N. Tsereteli, Center for Information and Counseling on Reproductive Health - Tanadgoma, Georgia
J. Casabona, Center for STI/HIV Epidemiological Studies of Catalonia (CEEISCAT/ASPCAT) and CIBERESP, Spain
SA. Bell, J. de Wit, Centre for Social Research in Health, University of New South Wales, Australia
D. Raben, CHIP, Department of Infectious Diseases, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
V. Delpech, Public Health England, London, UK